I'm a theoretical material scientist, working at the crossroads between solid-state physics, computational material science and applied mathematics. My research focuses on the continuum and mescoscale modeling of material properties, mainly by using Linear Elasticity Theory, Phase-Field and Amplitude Phase-Field Crystal models with the aid of Finite Element Method calculations. Particular attention has been devoted to the study of nano- and microstructures made of semiconductors, involving the role of free surfaces in elastic relaxation, the competitive mechanisms between plasticity and elasticity and the morphological evolution induced by processing. I collaborate with several experimental groups to understand and predict results of technology-relevant processes such as dewetting and crystal growth.
- Continuum and mesoscale modeling of material properties
- Phase-Field and (Amplitude) Phase-Field Crystal modeling
- Surface diffusion, Dewetting, Heteroepitaxy
- Defects in Crystals and Grain Boundaries
- Scientific Computing
- Ken R. Elder - Oakland Univeristy, USA
- Steven M. Wise - The University of Tennessee, USA
- Francesco Montalenti, Roberto Bergamaschini - University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy
- Giovanni Isella, Monica Bollani - LNESS, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Marco Abbarchi, Isabelle Berbezier - IM2NP, Aix-Marseille Universite', France
- Luiza Angheluta - University of Oslo, Norway
- Jorge Vinals - University of Minnesota, USA
- Zhi-Feng Huang - Wayne State University, USA
- Tapio Ala-Nissila - Aalto University, Espoo, Finland
M. Salvalaglio, M. Bouabdellaoui, M. Bollani, Submitted.
Hyperuniform monocrystalline structures by spinodal solid-state dewetting
M. Salvalaglio, A. Voigt, S. Wise, Submitted.
Doubly Degenerate Diffuse Interface Models of Surface Diffusion
A. Barzaghi, S. Firoozabadi, M. Salvalaglio et al., Submitted.
Self-assembly of nanovoids in Si micro-crystals epitaxially grown on deeply patterned substrates
C.L. Manganelli, M. Virgilio, O. Skibitzki et al.,
J. Raman Spectrosc. (2020).
Temperature dependence of strain-shift coefficient in epitaxial Ge/Si(001): a comprehensive analysis
M. Salvalaglio, L. Angheluta, Z.-F. Huang et al.
J. Mech. Phys. Solids 137 103856, (2020) .
A coarse-grained phase-field crystal model of plastic motion
A,Benali, J. B. Claude, S. Checcucci et al.,
Journal of Physics: Photonics 2 015002, (2020) .
Flexible photonic based on dielectric antennas
M. Bollani, M. Salvalaglio, M. Naffouti et al.,
Nature Communication 10 , 5632 (2019) .
Templated dewetting of single-crystal, ultra-long nano-wires and on-chip silicon circuits
M. Naffouti, M. Salvalaglio, T. David et al.
Physical Review Materials 3 , 103402 (2019) .
Deterministic three-dimensional self-assembly of Si through a rimless and topology-preserving dewetting regime
S. Praetorius, M. Salvalaglio, A. Voigt, Model. Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 27 , 044004 (2019) .
An efficient numerical framework for the amplitude expansion of the phase-field crystal model
M. Salvalaglio, A. Voigt, K. Elder, npj Computational Materials 5 , 48 (2019) .
Closing the gap between atomic-scale lattice deformations and continuum elasticity
M. Albani, R. Bergamaschini, M. Salvalaglio et al,
Phys. Status Solidi b, 1800518 (2019) .
Competition between kinetics and thermodynamics during the growth of faceted crystal by phase field modeling
R. Backofen, S. M. Wise, M. Salvalaglio, A. Voigt, Int. J. Num. Anal. Mod. 16 , 192 (2019) . arXiv:1710.09675
Convexity splitting in a phase field model for surface diffusion