I'm a theoretical material scientist, working at the crossroads between solid-state physics, computational material science and applied mathematics. My research focuses on the continuum and mescoscale modeling of material properties, mainly by using Linear Elasticity Theory, Phase-Field and Amplitude Phase-Field Crystal models with the aid of Finite Element Method calculations. Particular attention has been devoted to the study of nano- and microstructures made of semiconductors, involving the role of free surfaces in elastic relaxation, the competitive mechanisms between plasticity and elasticity and the morphological evolution induced by processing. I collaborate with several experimental groups to understand and predict results of technology-relevant processes such as dewetting and crystal growth.
- Continuum and mesoscale modeling of material properties
- Phase-Field and (Amplitude) Phase-Field Crystal modeling
- Surface diffusion, Dewetting, Heteroepitaxy
- Defects in Crystals and Grain Boundaries
- Pattern formation and analysis
- Scientific Computing
- Ken R. Elder - Oakland Univeristy, USA
- Steven M. Wise - The University of Tennessee, USA
- Francesco Montalenti, Roberto Bergamaschini - University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy
- Giovanni Isella, Monica Bollani - LNESS, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Marco Abbarchi, Isabelle Berbezier - IM2NP, Aix-Marseille Universite', France
- Luiza Angheluta - University of Oslo, Norway
- Jorge Vinals - University of Minnesota, USA
- Zhi-Feng Huang - Wayne State University, USA
- Tapio Ala-Nissila - Aalto University, Espoo, Finland
- David J. Srolovitz - City University of Hong Kong
M. Salvalaglio, M. Selch, A. Voigt, S. Wise, Submitted.
Doubly Degenerate Diffuse Interface Models of Anisotropic Surface Diffusion
M. Salvalaglio, A. Voigt, S. Wise, Submitted.
Doubly Degenerate Diffuse Interface Models of Surface Diffusion
M. Salvalaglio, M. Bouabdellaoui, M. Bollani, et al.
Phys. Rev. Lett. . In press .
Hyperuniform monocrystalline structures by spinodal solid-state dewetting
A. Barzaghi, S. Firoozabadi, M. Salvalaglio et al.,
Cryst. Growth Des. 20 ,2914 (2020).
Self-assembly of nanovoids in Si micro-crystals epitaxially grown on deeply patterned substrates
C.L. Manganelli, M. Virgilio, O. Skibitzki et al.,
J. Raman Spectrosc. (2020).
Temperature dependence of strain-shift coefficient in epitaxial Ge/Si(001): a comprehensive analysis
M. Salvalaglio, L. Angheluta, Z.-F. Huang et al.
J. Mech. Phys. Solids 137 103856, (2020) .
A coarse-grained phase-field crystal model of plastic motion
A,Benali, J. B. Claude, S. Checcucci et al.,
Journal of Physics: Photonics 2 015002, (2020) .
Flexible photonic based on dielectric antennas
M. Bollani, M. Salvalaglio, M. Naffouti et al.,
Nature Communication 10 , 5632 (2019) .
Templated dewetting of single-crystal, ultra-long nano-wires and on-chip silicon circuits
M. Naffouti, M. Salvalaglio, T. David et al.
Physical Review Materials 3 , 103402 (2019) .
Deterministic three-dimensional self-assembly of Si through a rimless and topology-preserving dewetting regime
S. Praetorius, M. Salvalaglio, A. Voigt, Model. Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 27 , 044004 (2019) .
An efficient numerical framework for the amplitude expansion of the phase-field crystal model
M. Salvalaglio, A. Voigt, K. Elder, npj Computational Materials 5 , 48 (2019) .
Closing the gap between atomic-scale lattice deformations and continuum elasticity
M. Albani, R. Bergamaschini, M. Salvalaglio et al,
Phys. Status Solidi b, 1800518 (2019) .
Competition between kinetics and thermodynamics during the growth of faceted crystal by phase field modeling
R. Backofen, S. M. Wise, M. Salvalaglio, A. Voigt, Int. J. Num. Anal. Mod. 16 , 192 (2019) . arXiv:1710.09675
Convexity splitting in a phase field model for surface diffusion
- 2019 (Sommersemester): Advanced Concepts of Scientific Computing
- 2018 (Sommersemester): Advanced Concepts of Scientific Computing
- 2016: Graduate Lectures on "Continuum modeling of Heteroepitaxy"